Finding The Right Midwife For Your Home Birth
CHOOSING YOUR MIDWIFE: INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
· What is your birth philosophy?
· What is your training? Are you certified? If yes, with whom and why? If no, why not?
· Are you licensed in the state of _____?
· What is your scope of practice?
· When would you find it necessary to go outside your scope of practice?
· Are there any circumstances (physical, emotional, and/or spiritual) would you not take a woman as a patient?
· When would you risk out a patient?
· What is your style of practice (laid back, hands on, managing)?
· How much time will be spent with me during each appointment? Do you come to my home or do I come to your office?
· At what intervals will you see me during pregnancy?
· What can I expect at a prenatal visit?
· What routine tests are utilized during pregnancy? What if I decline these tests?
· What routine herbs or supplements do you like your patients taking during pregnancy?
· At what point in labor do you normally arrive?
· What positions are you comfortable catching in? Birth stool? Hand/Knees? Squatting? Standing? Water?
· What do you do in the event a complication arises during labor or birth? When would you transfer a patient?
· Do you ever do episiotomies? If yes, when, why and how often?
· How are post-dates (post-42 weeks) handled in your practice?
· Do you ever encourage induction by pharmaceutical, herbal, AROM or other natural means? If yes, please describe.
· Do you have a partner or an assistant?
· Who would attend me if you are ill, had an emergency or are at another birth?
· Briefly please describe the types of births you are most and least experienced with.
· What if I hire a doula? Are there restrictions on the doula I may hire? If yes, why? What is your perception of the role of a doula at a homebirth?
Points to ponder afterward:
· Did you feel immediately comfortable and heard at the interview?
· Was MW willing to answer questions in detail without being annoyed?
· Are you comfortable with her scope of practice?
· Are her expectations of you reasonable?
· Are your expectations of her reasonable?
· Are you able to take full responsibility for your decisions with this midwife?